Our Club History
A "Better Way of Life" in Rotary
The Rotary Club of Apple Valley was Admitted by Rotary International on May 21, 1956, long before the Town of Apple Valley was incorporated and adopted "A Better Way of Life" as its motto. Beginning with twenty-two members our club has mirrored the growth and maturity of the high desert region. As the premier residential community of the desert, Apple Valley was home to most of the business owners in the area and the Club flourished as it met regularly at the Apple Valley Inn. Many original Apple Valley Ranchos employees like George Newton and Mike "Tex" Meeken became members during the hey-day of land sales in the area. Roy and Dale Rogers who operated the Inn when we met there were made Honorary Life Members in the 1990's to honor their "service above self" commitment to our area. Roy Rogers Jr. is a proud Past-President of our Club as are many local political, education and business leaders. Over the years our meeting place has moved to accommodate needed changes but the fun and fellowship is there whenever and wherever we gather.
Our Club has long recognized the importance of community service and education. Many of our past and present members have been involved in education and as a club we tend to focus on projects locally that promote literacy and learning. We believe the prosperous future of our area and our Club lie in an educated, involved community. In addition to developing student participants in District programs like the Dan Stover Music Contest and the 4-Way Speech Contest and the Hensel Ethics Essay Contest. We present reading books to all Kindergartners and dictionaries to all third-graders in Apple Valley Unified School District annually. Our major fundraisers - an annual Chili Cook-Off and Golf Tournament are used to support many of these important programs.